Me in my mental prime

Me in my mental prime
Mr. Mark T. Anderson in his mental prime

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday, 16 February 2012

That I know the day of the week, and date show that I am at least oriented for date most of the time. I've not yet had a relapse of telling someone the wrong year, which I have done a time or two ...

Today was a day of ups and downs. My wife and I went to an appointment she had this morning, then ran a whole bunch of errands to Staples, the US Post Office, and other places to help my daughter with her wedding planning. We then went to the VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic (COBC) in Mount Vernon, Missouri for my routine protime (usually it is monthly but I have been going weekly of late).

At the pet food store, VA COBC, and grocery my wife and I both noticed I was shuffling my feet, and she had me grab onto the cart for stability. I did not mumble nor do any of the other neurological things that normally seem to accompany shuffling, but I was exausted when we got home.

We just collapsed in the living room at home, me in my chair, until our son got back from work - he is staying with us while he recuperates from surgery for his hand, about another four weeks.

I had the realization today that my younger brother, age 50 and another Army veteran, is currently caring for my aging mother. She still works, but she has had a few falls and if he had not been there, we likely would have gotten a call from the police or the coroner ...

Anyway, I called my younger brother in Milwaukee, age 51, tonight just to see how he was doing and talk about how to help our mom. We were talking about how to get our brother a break now and again as well. In the middle of this conversation, I had about a one to two minute petit mal seizure, and was really slow to rouse. He thought I had drifted off into what I was doing on the computer and was a bit miffed, but I swear I did not remember a thing other than staring at the door to the office when I finally realized where I was again.

Later I called the younger brother to offer him solace if he wanted it (he did not) and to amuse him for a while. We talked for a few minutes and I think I was coherent most of the time.

Time is now 2049 hours local, and I am so tired I must be off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment